Hot on the heels of the LRMageddon comes the next Patch Review. We've been playing in the new set for a week now, and it's time to sound off on the company's general take on the new additions to the game. Original patch notes here.
So, on to what's changed. We'll just go in order today, because there's a few things I really want to talk about. First, there's a Victor on Trial now, so House Liao pilots should definitely try it out if they don't have a stable already! I highly recommend this Assault chassis for all our Gatekeepers.
As for the Huginn, the response is mixed. On the one hand, it comes equipped with a powerful XL engine and has a high top speed compared to other Ravens. Armed with 4 MG's and backed up with the hitting power of an SRM6 pod (backed by a Streak 2 pod) it can certainly get in there and mix it up. It doesn't come with an ECM, however - and it's larger than most other lights who field a similar armament, making it an easier target in close quarters. However, in a Vulture capacity this 'mech will certainly excel.
The fact that it's an FRR design simply means the Raven chassis has been a success. In fact, most innovations in 'mech design in the last century have come from House Liao, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't react to our technology being distributed to criminals. Destroy or steal back any you encounter.
Before we get to LRM's, let's talk about the other minor changes. First, the option to select/deselect multiple modes on the Launch screens seems a little rudimentary to not have already been implemented, but whatever. Doesn't really help us with sync drops or getting more of our people involved in the same map, so I'm rather indifferent.
The Ravens also had their visual customization complete. This rocks. This is the sort of thing that I like to see. Kudos, PGI. The art design for the 'mechs is fantastic.
Yet, now we get to the nitty-gritty. LRM's had their speed ratcheted back to 160m/s from the previous build's wild 175m/s. The screen-shake value of LRM's has also been reduced. The question is: were these changes enough to create a varied battlefield, or will LRM's continue to dominate the game?
Now, there's an LRM feedback thread on the MWO forums that I invite everyone to take a look at. A lot of folks say there's no problem, but the vast majority of posters are displeased. I fall into that latter category.
LRM flight speed is still too fast for my tastes, but I'd put this question to PGI: what is the idea here? Help us to understand what you want to happen here, so we can change our game and be happy with MWO. Let me continue to delineate the information I require by breaking that inquiry down into a few simple questions:
- Why specifically was LRM flight speed increased?
- To change the pop-tart meta?
- To change the effective range of LRM's?
- To make attacking an LRM machine at close quarters more a risky endeavor?
- To increase the likelihood that a snap shot at a 'mech not in LOS and only targeted by your team for an instant will do more damage at long range?
- How are your testers dealing with the issue in-house?
- No one boats?
- Medium range (200-500) murder machines (you can't dodge anymore)?
- Long range suppression / damage?
- Was this change tied to the other technologies in the game?
- Has the frequency of NARC deployment changed significantly?
- Was or is ECM too prevalent in-the game?
- Is it your intention that every team be equipped with essentially the same equipment (TAG/NARC/ECM)?
I don't know the answer to any of that, but if a PGI developer wanted to answer I would certainly listen, then educate others. For myself, the speed is still too fast. I think it's time to try 150m/s - that's still faster than before, but not as inescapable as now. Every night I hear someone complain about how fast the missiles are - and these guys are great pilots, who've been playing as a team for quite some time now.
It's simply changed the game so much that it's not any fun for a lot of people, and I sympathize. If I wanted to play Missile Command I'd turn on my Atari. Currently, you spend the entire map hiding from LRM's that you can't escape. If the enemy team has more than 1 missile boat, you'd better hope that your ECM support knows how to stand still.
I like LRM's, and I want them to be playable without being seen as a crutch, a flavor-of-the-month "I Win" button or dishonorable in any way. I feel that they were that before the last missile patch.
So how do you feel about the current meta? Sound off below, on Facebook and on the MWO missile feedback thread! Don't worry...the L.C.C. isn't going anywhere. We are, however, going to cheese the Hades out of these LRM's until they nerf us. See you in Actual, Mechwarriors.

No comments:
Post a Comment