Monday, January 13, 2014
Patch Review: Grid Iron
Just a quick update today to bring us up to date on the current patch. Last week we got an idea on how features in the game will progress with the Grid Iron patch. After mucking with it for almost a week, here's the Gatekeeper's patch review for the current build. Original patch notes here.
So, the Grid Iron. Interesting build with a mix of weaponry, it carries 2 ballistic hardpoints in its' "hunch", and a missile point on the other side. Standard build comes with Gauss Rifle and SRM, but I'm sure enterprising pilots out there will find a lot of configurations are possible. I have a great respect for the ol' Hunchback chassis, and this is another great addition to a fine stable of 'mechs.
Another interesting point is PGI's decision to include a "Limited Edition" cheerleader bobblehead with a premium priced version of the Grid Iron that is available for a few more weeks yet. We'll see how "exclusive" it actually winds up being after the end of the sale. Who knows?
A massive complaint on the forum about this patch (and really the last few) is that more manpower has been spent on this than implementing some of the features that are considered to be sorely needed, but I still have faith because of the visual implementation that we've seen this patch on the Hunchbacks. The mechbay icons have changed and now actually look like the individual model, i.e. you can tell the difference between a 4G and a 4P simply by looking at them. Better still is the fact that now your Hunchbacks actually show the weapons you have mounted on them instead of the default model. This is the sort of thing I'd like to see manpower spent on, and this patch showed that the team at PGI is working in a direction I want the game to go in.
As far as gameplay goes, AC/10 and AC/20 shells have had their velocity decreased by a huge amount. Gatekeepers report no inhibited functionality, but for myself I've noticed my AC/10 isn't as accurate at longer range. I didn't really notice with the AC/20 since it's engagement range is virtually point blank, but I needed more practice with the AC/10 to get familiar with it again. It's essentially a different weapon if you're using it to engage enemies close to it's maximum range...so get those practice shots in on any Davion scumdogs you see in our space!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment